Sunday, October 10, 2010

Simulation: Life

Hi, my name is Danny Dvorak and I am addicted to Sims. Yes, I do mean the computer game, and yes I know it is a problem. My annoying...habit started sometime around 4th grade and as with all addictions it slowly began to take over my life. I would neglect simple household chores so my Sims could clean their toilet or recycle their newspaper. Yells from my mom would be answered with the almost programmed "yeah one minute!" That was stage one. My problem progressed when a large portion of my disposable income was allotted to the purchase of Sims games, over $200 on Sims 1 alone. The expansion packs were calling. Then lo and behold, Sims 2 was introduced into my life. Not only was it more realistic than the first, but it allowed me a plethora of new options to play with. My expenditures increased as did my time in front of the computer screen. There was a new world for me to live vicariously through, so I should enjoy it, right? That was stage two. But the addiction persisted. I was conniving and I convinced my dad that I needed my own computer so I could have a faster experience, and I sneakily added that he wouldn't have to wait for my game to save on our archaic computer. Well I won, so my prospects of being a lawyer looked bright. If only I could be more proactive with my time. That was stage 3.

High school came and thankfully my time in front of the computer diminished as my workload increased. With the start of freshman year I had begun my road to recovery. Maybe it was maturity, or maybe prioritizing that led me to cut down on my screen time. Or maybe it was losing my files, one of the three. In the end I believe it was a combination, coupled with the realization that I should live my life, not a computer character's. The relationships you develop by experiencing life are more important that the amount of money your Sims accrue. I realized that life was more important than any silly game. I never fell in love with Xbox or video games; I just had this one guilty pleasure. It is still fun to play from time to time, but it is no longer a lifestyle for me. As of today I have been "sober" since August, and I'm as happy as can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment